Tuesday 31 March 2020

[Kotobukiya] 1/7 Raphtalia

"私はあなたの剣"
I am your sword
"たとえどんな苦難があろうとも月従います"
No matter the hardship, I will follow you
I saw that scene shared on social media and knew I just had to start watching the series.
Really loved it from the music to the characters.

But I'm not here to talk about that.

I'm here to share with you this superbly gorgeous 1/7 Raphtalia figure from Kotobukiya.

p.s. It's been suuuuuuuper long since I've done any figure photography.


This figure was released in Jan 2020 and pre-order price from amiami was 13,390yen


From the front of the box, you get a good view of Raphtalia and the base that she stands on
This figure is also by no means light


With one of the sides showing she Shield Hero's shield and the other an illustration of the figure.
The back has a picture of the figure with emphasis on certain parts.



After unboxing her, and fitting everything together, you'll end up with this. Her sword is exchangeable with her physical one which we'll take a look at later.


First up, we have her expression and you better not mess with her. The only thing that's a bit off is the mouth. With it open, she seems a bit unsure of what she wants to do and it's like a cross between posing for a photo and actually taking up a fighting stance


Raccoon ears. I feel like petting them.



The gradients on her gloves and and armour are absolutely beautiful.
The cuffs/metal look relatively realistic



I love the creases in her outfit and how the skirt flares up a bit.




Her tail has to be attached




The peg goes into her back.


Her boots are really nicely done with its gradient painting


The only exchangeable accessory is her sword


But I prefer the translucent one.
(Its name is currently escaping me)
Oh and be careful the sword, it's sharp. I accidentally stabbed my hand with it when I was setting up the figure.


Next up is the base. And you can really tell the effort that went into designing this figure. I love figures where the base is incorporated into the design of the figure and not just some plain clear/white thing.


That little balloon monster. Didn't expect it to be this shiny.
Beware of its teeth.


Grass and soil


A couple of rocks


And Raphtalia stepping on the balloon. Which, by the way, looks fantastically squeezed


There's only one thing that bothers me...
It's the direction of various elements:

Hair in the back blows a bit to her left
Hair in the front blows a lot to her right
Skirt blows a bit to her left
Grass appears to blow to her right

But this is just me nitpicking


Design:          9/10
Quality:        10/10
Value:            8/10

Overall, I didn't notice any manufacturing defects or irregularities be it paint or extra bits of plastic.
You can feel that the design, from top to bottom, went with the mantra of "How can I make this a work of art?"
At 13,390 yen, while not exactly cheap, I guess is the normal pricing nowadays. But with how beautifully designed and executed the figure is, I can say it's pretty worth it.

While I don't see it on Hobby Search or Amiami anymore, this figure will make a great addition to your collection if you can find it.

Side note: So, while photographing the figure, because of the pose, I kept ending up with shots that had her pointing the sword to the bottom right corner. That seemed to be the shot that's most pleasing to the my eyes. Sad thing is that excludes a lot of the base. I tried to include the Balloon in the first picture though.


No comments:

Post a Comment