Friday 27 September 2013

[Griffon Enterprises] 1/1 Yui Pixie

I first saw this a couple of months back an amiami's home page with the title 'Sword Art Online - Yui 1/1 Complete Figure' and I was like: "OMMIGOSH! there's a 1/1 to figure of Yui?!?!?!". Then logic kicked in. That and I saw the thumbnail & price to realise that the Yui they were referring to the ALO navigation pixie version.

At the start I wasn't too sure whether I wanted to get Yui because frankly speaking, I didn't find the thumbnails to be very appealing. In the end (as you can see), I decided to just go for it. After all, it is Yui and she's my favourite character of the series and this was the first (and only) figure of Yui.


 The pictures on amiami made it feel like Yui's face was quite flat - this was my biggest worry. Thankfully though, this isn't the case for the actual figure. What you get is a very sweet and happy smile.


Yup, she has a flower (accessory) on her head.

 Her long black hair looks as though she were just about to land and the wind is blowing it gently upwards.

This time a pink flower as a collar accessory. Another thing I like about this Yui are the translucent wings. That translucent effect definitely adds more depth and "realism" to the figures. I liked it very much on the Sena - Monster Hunter Vers.

It should be a given but when I see fingernails that are coloured, I just can't help but adore the attention to detail.

Now, the dress... Firstly, the dress is sculpted and designed to have a very "practical" use which I'll mention later. Secondly, the lack of enough creases makes the dress feel a bit fake especially if it's supposed to be blown upwards as her hair and the design of the "petals" suggest.

She has rings around her ankles too. At first I thought the ring around her left ankle was broken then I saw her right ring and thought both were broken. So I looked at the character design...

Looks like there's supposed to be gaps between the smaller orbs, big orbs and the rest of the ring. I can't see how they would have achieved that so I'll just take what they give.

I have one big issue with this figure though and that has to do with the stand. The fitting isn't that good in that it's pretty lose so Yui kept falling off. Will probably have to put some blu-tack there or something like that. 


 I mentioned this a lot of times before but I'll say it again, I like it when the base has the name of the character and not (just) the name of the anime. Although doing this like this makes the figure feel more like a prize.

---------------------------------------------------
Yui's first trip out was to welcome people at the AMCC (Anime, Gaming & Cosplay Club) booth at SIM's Student Week:

Early in the morning

Remember earlier I mentioned about the dress design/sculpt being practical? What did I mean by that? Well, she sits quite nicely on your right shoulder (yes, only right and not the left).


 Yui & Kirito

Yui & Leafa

Leafa, Yui & Kirito
(Yes, it was warm so Kirito took off his coat)

~A random shot~

Not only does she sit nicely on your shoulder, she'd also fit relatively nicely on your hand. Although, the angle is a bit odd, so you'd have to rotate your hand slightly backwards.

 Yui & Yui!

Essentially, Yui (referring to the figure) makes quite a good prop as long as you don't drop her. No, she wasn't dropped that day.

Honestly speaking, I'm quite biased with this figure. I like Yui quite a lot and I think that Griffon did a nice job in their rendition of her. And she's sub-hundred (SGD) meaning she's relatively affordable. Not to mention that she's cheaper by about 800 yen now compared to when I got her.

P.S. I bought 2 just in case I dropped one and damaged it in the process of having her on mine and others shoulders.


Thanks to the peeps from AMCC who gladly took photos with Yui.

No comments:

Post a Comment